Open Letter – Open XML Initiative (updated)

Update 07/06/2007: The Open XML Initiative is fast becoming a giant with most of the major players now involved. I will be posting over the next 10 days a list of all of the organisations who are now involved.

We now have 3 major portals, 4 major franchises and 5 Multi Uploaders supporting this initiative, and are looking for more involvement from other parties. I will publish a list of supporting companies as soon as I am happy with the involvement.For those waiting to see who else is involved, I suggest not waiting and just get involved!

To all the major portals, franchises, institutions, independents, web designers, data feeders and consumers.

It is now time for us to come together and form an XML initiative for the whole real estate industry. It is my belief that by providing a standards based XML initiative open to all real estate web developers and portals we can move this industry forward.

I want to get as many people involved in this as possible, so I am inviting any person who would like to be involved to write to me at peter at agentpoint dot com dot au (you know what to do with that) and we will try to form a committee to talk about how we can move this forward.

I would also like the XML initiative to be open to everyone and not simply a protectionist initiative, however I do understand that we must protect the rights of all stake holders in this initiative, including portals, agents and consumers.

This cannot move forward without the major real estate portal and franchises being involved so I look forward to hearing from all of you.

I will post a list of organisations/individuals that agree to this in principal before we set any timetables for meetings.

Kind Regards

Peter Ricci
Agentpoint
0438 391 397

XML

About Peter J Ricci

Peter Ricci is the Director of Agentpoint.com.au, Business2.com.au, Ginga.com.au and ZooProperty.com and has been involved in designing and developing real estate systems and websites since 1997. In July 2001 Peter founded Business2.com.au to help real estate agents better understand the power of the Internet and the real estate landscape in Australia and New Zealand. Since then he has penned over 300 articles on a variety of subjects in the real estate technology industry. Business2.com.au is now the leading real estate technology site in Australasia.

14 Responses to Open Letter – Open XML Initiative (updated)

1. Kitchen Designer May 19, 2007 at 6:17 pm #

Hi Peter,

This seems to be a great idea. Do you already have a basic framework to start off with?

2. John Dedes May 22, 2007 at 9:52 am #

Peter,

I am interested.

Cannot afford travelling costs for meetings interstate or time between mon to fri’s, weekends are OK.

If there is a sponsor for coming up with the cost of travel?
    I will accept the offer.

JD

3. David Brown May 22, 2007 at 10:39 am #

Dear Peter,

The initiative is a solid one.

Delighted to contribute to the XML Initiative.

David Brown
    Co Founder – iigloo.com
    Managing Director – Human Equity

4. Glen Aihug May 23, 2007 at 4:39 pm #

Hi Peter

I am interested in this idea and have a few questions:

a) Like the Kitchen Designer asked do you currently have any framework?

b) Does this initiative intend to set a standard for international specifics also?

c) Finally what is the ‘agentpoint’ drive for this standard? Is it based on a development angle, consumer, agent etc?

5. Peter May 23, 2007 at 5:13 pm #

Glen and Kitchen Design.

1. No we do not have a framework, that is what this group will determine. I would assume it would be based strongly around current frameworks.

2. No this will not be an international standard but one for Australia and New Zealand.

3. I will gain from it just like my competitors, agents, portals, consumers and possibly other entities. I already have a few of my competitors who are interested in becoming a part of the discussion as well as one of the major portals and 2 major franchises.

4. I am not stopping anyone from being involved but there will be no cost covering or payments in the initial stages. I cannot rule it out because I am not going to be the one making the decisions.

5. Lets get the discussion going and see where that leads us. This will take a few months to get together and I wont make a move until I am satisfied that we have a group together that can make it happen.

Regards Peter

6. Paul Kravyen May 24, 2007 at 2:39 pm #

Fantastic inititive. Imagine a standards based XML Schema. We could create alsorts of funky little apps and sites knowing that the data could be used anywhere.

Whilst I doubt I have the time to be involved in this I do wish the committee the best.

7. robwales May 28, 2007 at 4:01 pm #

Sounds like a great idea. Not sure how I would fit in but as a property educator perhaps can bring a different angle to the discussion.

Rob Wales
    propertytech.org

8. Glenn May 29, 2007 at 9:47 am #

Peter,

I take it you also have a swag of interest from individuals on top of the organisations.

I seems as though it will be a case of which portals, real estate insitutes, service providors, franchises and marketing groups will miss out being in on the ground floor rather than who joins. Fantastic job!

It will be a success because it is long overdue in our industry.

We just started a domain trial this week and connecting it up was a lot more painful that it should have been had this system already be in place. For the first couple of days no properties came over, then only 7 properties came over. By yesterday afternoon everything appeared to be working correctly. It took several phone calls and emails to get it right with domain and portplus blaming each other.

9. Peter May 29, 2007 at 9:53 am #

Well I can tell you I have only had about 3 individuals. And I can also assure you that no Real Estate Institute as shown the slightest interest so far.

As for the problems with Domain and Port Plus, I think there are always some teething problems with a new feed in the current climate.

Hopefully this will get rid of those problems.

10. Mark Cohen May 30, 2007 at 11:35 pm #

[I work for domain.com.au]

Hi Peter,

As far as I am concerned, anything that makes life easier for our Agents is an idea worth supporting. I would be happy for you to add me to your working group.

Mark Cohen
    Technology Manager, Online Real Estate
    Fairfax Digital

11. John Norton-Baker June 8, 2007 at 5:38 pm #

Hi Peter

I agree with Mark Cohen comments and I am also happy to be added to the working group.

John Norton-Baker
    Managing Director
    Proactive Tours & Proactive eBook

12. Jason June 29, 2007 at 2:41 pm #

Peter,

I would also liked to be added to the working group.

Jason Rout

13. kent lardner January 10, 2008 at 12:40 pm #

Hi Peter,

LIXI (Lending Industry) have been at it for years and have succeeded. The board and members are worth talking to and would be willing to give you advice or support to help kick-start the project. Email me directly if you wish to get some contacts or discuss it in more detail.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. XML Initiative - Your Ideas at Business2 - Real Estate Agent News and Information Technology - June 8, 2007

[…] can also read more here. Posted by Peter at 7:02 pm  Print This […]