Google Buys REA – Yes an April Fools Joke!

Earlier today I posted that News Ltd had sold its stake in Google. Well I spoke to some people at REA and they knew nothing about it. So it is an April Fools joke. This was cleverly done by Nick who enjoys posting here and it seems enjoys making me look like an idiot! Even better hey!

April Fool Peter Ricci

Enjoy! And no the original article did not have Author as Avina Larf, so I am stupid but not that stupid!

April Fools, Google, REA

About Peter J Ricci

Peter Ricci is the Director of Agentpoint.com.au, Business2.com.au, Ginga.com.au and ZooProperty.com and has been involved in designing and developing real estate systems and websites since 1997. In July 2001 Peter founded Business2.com.au to help real estate agents better understand the power of the Internet and the real estate landscape in Australia and New Zealand. Since then he has penned over 300 articles on a variety of subjects in the real estate technology industry. Business2.com.au is now the leading real estate technology site in Australasia.

28 Responses to Google Buys REA – Yes an April Fools Joke!

1. Peter April 1, 2007 at 10:32 am #

What a waste of time the article I wrote yesterday is. I will write a new one tonight on my thoughts…This purchase has the most implications of any purchase in Real Estate History in Australia

2. Tom S April 1, 2007 at 10:53 am #

Peter,

Keep in mind that it’s April fools day today!

3. Nick Buick April 1, 2007 at 10:56 am #

The remaining 2 major portals will almost certainly need to partner with multinational’s also in order to maintain their market share.

Google’s model would be pretty different to that of REA’s though – its going to mean some pretty huge changes in the landscape – interesting indeed.

This is massive.

4. Peter April 1, 2007 at 11:03 am #

Oh I am aware of that, and tried to look up both names quoted and they were not there. However I am sure Simon Baker would be hauled before the Stock Exchange and Regulators in a minute if it was a prank as this has massive share price implications.

5. Nick Buick April 1, 2007 at 11:03 am #

ah ya spoil sport – I spent hours writing that πŸ˜‰

6. Peter April 1, 2007 at 11:06 am #

Also no new press releases on Google’s site

7. Peter April 1, 2007 at 11:09 am #

Found Con Stavros RMIT …

8. Dave Platter April 1, 2007 at 1:18 pm #

(I work at realestate.com.au/the REA Group.)

I haven’t heard about Google buying REA. What I heard (rumors only, don’t quote me on this) is that REA is buying Google. I think that makes a lot more sense as a transaction.

dave

9. Nick Buick April 1, 2007 at 1:33 pm #

Newslimited had nothing to do with it, neither did anyone at REA.

Ok… confession time.

I wrote the article as a joke – it was online for all of 4 hours and your site was the only place I posted it coz I knew it would get a good stir. The market isn’t even trading today – no one is getting rich on this one unfortunatly.

I was just kidding around Peter. If it makes you feel better, I once read an April Fools newspaper article about a time traveler getting arrested for insider trading. Bought it hook-line-and-sinker – forwarded it to all my collegues – was the lauging stock of my office.

Come on… admit it – you’re just sad that the gossip of the century wasn’t true. April Phooly? I can’t believe you bought that ;).

10. Robert Simeon April 1, 2007 at 1:36 pm #

I am sure that we will hear much much more about this prank.

11. Nick Buick April 1, 2007 at 1:38 pm #

Hey its April 1 – every man for himself guys. πŸ˜‰

C`mon Simon Baker posted the Ballrat ad in his own Blog – from the internviews I’ve seen he seems to have a pretty good sense of humour I’m sure he’s got bigger things to worry about.

12. Peter April 1, 2007 at 1:42 pm #

Ok, now I read the weblink and it is not News, so there you go!

13. Peter April 1, 2007 at 1:45 pm #

Well done Nick! Did not think to look at the URL link πŸ™‚

14. Paul D April 1, 2007 at 2:03 pm #

So Google bought a STEAK in REA ???? I wonder was it rump or T-bone ???

15. Glenn April 1, 2007 at 3:16 pm #

Peter,

I logged on to see what joke you had played on unsuspecting readers and found that someone had played one on you… !!!!

I cant believe that you missed all the clues he inserted…. It was a job well done by Nick.

Now the real joke would be a real announcement to the market on Monday or Tuesday of the same thing… That would see a few uncomfortable questions asked by the authorities of how you had inside information… hehehe…

Maybe we should have April Fools week … Peter could have phoned Nick pretending to be an ASX investigator looking at insider trading rumours, or as a Google representative from Wunkle and Funkle Solicitors phoning to ask how he knew of the impending offer to REA shareholders.

Oh the fun that could have been had.

16. Simon Baker April 1, 2007 at 6:21 pm #

Peter

I have only just heard about this joke article and i can confirm that it had nothing to do with us.

Simon Baker
    MD REA Group

17. Robert Simeon April 1, 2007 at 6:31 pm #

It just gets funnier – Simon says “i can confirm it had nothing to do with us.” When it was all about REA and Google so how can it then have nothing to do with them ?

Or, maybe Simon was trying to say that it did not come from REA – as it had everything to do about them.

Although it would come as a surprise that someone from REA did not have their fingerprints somewhere on a keyboard. Or should we then look for a relative of Avina Larf of Prof April Pholey ?

18. Simon Baker April 1, 2007 at 6:43 pm #

Robert

You really should have been a lawyer.

So just for you – i can confirm that we did not write, place, or participate in the creation or formation in any which way, shape or form of the article.

I just love your conspiracy theories … perhaps Harold Holt is still alive somewhere or there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll!

Simon Baker
    MD REA Group

19. Elizabeth April 1, 2007 at 6:59 pm #

Robert – is this another example of you misunderstanding what people are saying? or are you just being an old stick in the mud?

Is this an example of practical jokes going too far?

E

20. Robert Simeon April 1, 2007 at 7:04 pm #

E,

Certainly not a misunderstanding – I was seeking a correction which was received.

Now the search continues for Avina Larf I understand he/she is not on the REA share registry.

21. Tom S April 1, 2007 at 7:24 pm #

This was a terrific April fools joke Nick. When I 1st (quickly) read it, there was a certain degree of plausibility. Initially, I

22. Anthony April 2, 2007 at 8:24 am #

Damn was this a joke – and i forwarded all the information to the ASX and ASICS.

23. Anthony April 2, 2007 at 8:27 am #

Nick – loved it – well done – but the price was too low – Market Cap at present is about 660 Million – so it would appear like a steal – unless you were factoring in future share price πŸ™‚

24. Nick Buick April 2, 2007 at 9:21 am #

No I accounted for that – they only purchased a 60% ‘steak’ don’t forget πŸ˜‰

25. Dave Platter April 2, 2007 at 9:33 am #

I work at realestate.com.au/the REA Group.)

Nick, congrats on the joke. I have to admit that Peter wasn’t the only one wondering if this could possibly be true right around 11:30 AM yesterday. Tell me, how did you get us to bite? Did you email the link to Robert or post it in a comment?

dave

26. Nick Buick April 2, 2007 at 10:34 am #

Thanks Dave,

I just posted a one liner in the Rant Room on here which Peter saw moments later.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Dumb and Dumber Real Estate Awards 2007 at Business2 - Real Estate Agent News and Information Technology - August 29, 2007

[…] Peter Ricci – Google buys REA (oops) Why? Because he got duped brilliantly into thinking that Google had purchased REA on of all […]

2. Whatever happened to? | Business2 Real Estate Agent News and Information Technology - August 1, 2008

[…] Google Buys REA […]