Money Down the Drain?

I very rarely throw out a Wentworth Courier Paper, even though I find newspapers increasingly frustrating to look at when searching for a home (they are fun to read). I came across an advertisement (full page) for a sales person from McGrath. It was a whopping ad telling us the experience that this person had.

I am not going into the value of this ad. But the reason the headline says, ‘down the drain’ is because the ad creator and the newspaper failed to inform the person that they copy text that signalled the phone number (and contact details) of the person was in fact the same colour as the background which made it impossible to read his number. So now this salesperson is left with a bill for well over $1500.00 and no chance of getting any enquiries.

Click here to see this ad

Will a person read the ad and then do a search for the person online to find his contact details? I think not! This is another reason why newspapers just do not make any real sense to me, they last but a day (maybe a few) and you cannot edit the mistake once it is printed.

Now this is not an indictment on Hamish, but it does pay to be careful!

Newspapers

About Peter J Ricci

Peter Ricci is the Director of Agentpoint.com.au, Business2.com.au, Ginga.com.au and ZooProperty.com and has been involved in designing and developing real estate systems and websites since 1997. In July 2001 Peter founded Business2.com.au to help real estate agents better understand the power of the Internet and the real estate landscape in Australia and New Zealand. Since then he has penned over 300 articles on a variety of subjects in the real estate technology industry. Business2.com.au is now the leading real estate technology site in Australasia.

6 Responses to Money Down the Drain?

1. Elizabeth August 10, 2007 at 2:50 pm #

Good Afternoon,

Peter I actually think that this IS an indictment on Hamish.

To place an advertisement like this in the Wentworth Courier, Hamish has to either submit a design or brief initially to the Wentworth Courier. They then mock it up and get his (Hamish) to approve it before it goes to print.

So if Hamish decided to drop the ball, or he passed the job of approving onto a junior staff member, is it really the fault of the Wentworth Courier?

I agree 100% that with Print, if there is a mistake you cannot alter it without an expense.

But lets all look at the problem. Hamish probably needs to stop looking at how handsome he is in the photo, and pay a bit more attention to detail, BEFORE he approves the creative fit for print.

E

2. Peter Ricci August 10, 2007 at 2:55 pm #

Interesting to see E’s judgement on what she considers handsome. I think you may be right there E. But I was not highlighting Hamish, I was highlighting how stupid it was that no-one checked.

I remember years ago I printed thousands of brochures and sent them out and got little to no response. We all learn I suppose.

3. Elizabeth August 10, 2007 at 3:04 pm #

Peter, there may be some rust on the old boiler, but the pressure valve still works and I appear to be full of surprises.

Yes we agree, absolutely no excuse from anyone for not checking. I suspect this will be an expensive lesson for dear Hamish.

Personally, there is still a lot to be gained from Print. However I have awoken to the fact that from the branding and leads I get from it, Print advertising is far too expensive.

E

4. Nick Hopkins August 11, 2007 at 1:55 pm #

Off topic, but still I suspect on the broad theme of ‘money down the drain’, do you have an update for us on realsearch.com.au?

I monitored the countdown to launch, which turned into an alert, which turned into a new countdown to a new launch which has now turned into a 404!

Would really like to know what happened…It looked promising foe a while.

Rgds

nick

5. Elizabeth August 12, 2007 at 7:42 am #

Good morning,

Nick I fear that the count down on Realsearch was for its own demise.

It started by only scrapping the large franchise groups for listings. They complained and took legal action to have their listings removed.

Then realsearch stated that it would launch as the new hope for independent agents. The market they completely ignored at the beginning.

E

6. Nick Hopkins August 13, 2007 at 7:12 pm #

Thanks Elizebeth,

If that was the strategy, what on earth was the business plan….Revenues?

Nick