Are MyHome and Homehound merging?

There have been a few whispers circulating that MyHome and Homehound are about to merge or are at least in talks of a merger. I don’t know how much weight I can lend to these whispers but it would be interesting on a number of issues.

I hope they do to be honest and I hope MyHome use the Homehound developers, who I must say have done a pretty nifty job of their website. Homehound is now more popular than MyHome (ouch) in terms of users, but it is their website I like the most. It really is a nice little site.

The only downside of all of this is the ownership issue. I just cannot see any portal working that is owned in full or in part by real estate agencies (franchises or not) unless everyone has a fair and equal share. If these two companies do merge, I hope (fingers crossed) they use the Homehound website and systems, as it still hurts for me to look at MyHome (although it has improved a little).

Other news:
My associate writer on business2.com.au, Dave Platter, has just welcomed a new child into his family, so congratulations to Dave and his lovely wife. Lets just hope the child and mother never hear the words “he looks just like his father”.

dave platter, Homehound, MyHome

About Peter J Ricci

Peter Ricci is the Director of Agentpoint.com.au, Business2.com.au, Ginga.com.au and ZooProperty.com and has been involved in designing and developing real estate systems and websites since 1997. In July 2001 Peter founded Business2.com.au to help real estate agents better understand the power of the Internet and the real estate landscape in Australia and New Zealand. Since then he has penned over 300 articles on a variety of subjects in the real estate technology industry. Business2.com.au is now the leading real estate technology site in Australasia.

10 Responses to Are MyHome and Homehound merging?

1. Mark Cohen February 26, 2008 at 10:07 am #

Hi Peter

Have you ever looked into the ownership of allhomes, the dominant portal in the Canberra market? πŸ™‚

Mark

2. Peter Ricci February 26, 2008 at 10:31 am #

Yes, owned by an Agent it seems! REA has a large shareholder agent, I am talking about new websites and portals. Agents are more aware these days.

3. Robert Simeon February 26, 2008 at 10:42 am #

Yes – I hear they are going to call it “My Hound” with a branding jingle “walk around the block with us”. Personally, I prefer “who let the dogs out”. I think aagain they may both be barking up the wrong tree.

4. Gemma Duff February 26, 2008 at 10:47 am #

I think your right Peter, HomeHound.com.au is a really fantastic looking site. They will have real power in the marketplace, especially if they couple there already dynamic site with a few of the ideas America has already taken on board. For instance, a “Make Me Move” like Zillow already does. This allows vendors to list the price that, if offered, would make them move right now – but there not on the market. I think whats really needed is a flip in perspective. RealEstate.com.au focusses on protecting itself so much, its time we found a portal who made the customer the boss. Instead of telling agents what they can and can’t do with the advertisement of their listings, give their clients the right to use their portal anyway they see fit. Seems to me that agents are being led around with a lead like a small uncontrollable child. Peter Sheahan –

5. Glenn Batten February 26, 2008 at 11:04 am #

My Hound… woof woof!

6. Dave Platter February 26, 2008 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks for the well wishes, Peter! Everyone is healthy and fine and the baby came home today. I’ll be back to posting again soon!

That’s a promise, not a threat. πŸ™‚

7. Glenn Batten February 26, 2008 at 5:07 pm #

Congrats Dave!!

8. snoop March 2, 2008 at 9:45 am #

Yes the vested interests of this large franchise have tenetacles everywhere.
    Agents should wonder how tall the chinese walls are.

9. Nick March 2, 2008 at 3:18 pm #

I hope you aren’t referring to David’s new addition Snoop ;).

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Rumour - Homehound Up for Sale | Property Portal Watch - September 25, 2008

[…] This is not the first time rumours have been in the market that homehound is for sale or looking at a merger.